Saturday, June 27, 2009

Blanket of Love, a hospice care outreach

Hello friends.

As many of you know, my sister has spent the last ten years battling metastatic breast cancer. The disease has progressed, seemingly undaunted by chemo and radiation therapies. Now, she has gone off of conventional medicine and has started in a hospice program for palliative care. Yet she never loses hope, I think. In her blog entries, she talks about how thankful she is for the "blanket of love" that her friends and family have wrapped around her. And it is in her honor that I present the Blanket of Love program.

My sister taught me to knit when I was eight or ten. So it is her hands, her love that taught me the skills by which I want to honor her now. Every stitch that I make is wrapped with my sister's love. And so she has also wrapped me in a "blanket of love," both literally and figuratively.

There are people in the world, in our communities, who are suffering the same pain that she is suffering but do not have the "blanket of love" that is provided figuratively by the support of their friends and family.

Dianne is one such woman. Long estranged from her family, a survivor of abuse, she is now facing a sudden and fast-progressing cancer in her kidneys and pancreas. Doctors have deemed the disease untreatable and are providing only palliative care. Her prognosis is bleak. Her doctor estimates six months.

During this time, I want to wrap Dianne in a Blanket of Love - literally. I have three skeins of Lion Brand Homespun Yarn in Prairie. This is enough to start her blanket, but I will need another five skeins to complete it. You can help! There are two options, listed below.

Option 1: Buy a hat! I am currently offering my fishnet lace "Beret La Batre" for sale. Proceeds will go to Dianne, first for making her blanket, and then to the purchase of food, medication, or whatever else is needed. Buy this hat for $20, and $10 will go to wrapping Dianne in a blanket of love - literally and figuratively. Hat is shown here in light blue. Please pardon the less-than-stellar photography. My camera is currently on hiatus (God only knows where it is!), and my model is still awake at 4:00am after spending all day making hats for NICU babies...












Color






Option 2: Donate any amount by clicking the Donate button below. 100% of the funds will go to Dianne, again first for her blanket and then to her other needs.







Thank you for your help.

Katie

1 comment:

  1. Update: I have about 2.5 skeins, and my pattern will use about 10. So I need 8 skeins, or about $45 to make this blanket.

    ReplyDelete